What causes prolapse of the uterus?

Mar 2014
this is a pic of my v this keep coming and going.what could this be.I know u cannot say for sure o just want what it could be
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Looks like prolapse, need better picture Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. I have seen the pictures but they are not very clear. It would help to have a better picture with view of the vulva and relation of the mass to clitoris and urethra. However after seeing one picture and your history, it seems like this is most likely prolapse of the uterus. In this condition the uterus looses its supports that anchor it to the pelvis and then it sags down. The vaginal wall also prolapses with it. Sometimes the supports are Ok but the cervix becomes too long and tends to come out of the vagina. It usually increases during straining like while passing stools or urine or sitting in squatting position. Initially it tends to revert back and then gradually may need to be reposited back and sometimes it does not even get reposited. Another cause may be a uterine inversion or a cervical polyp. In inversion the uterus turns inside out. It is common immediately after delivery but may occur in other cases when fibroids [non cancerous uterine tumors] in the fundus of the uterus cause it to turn inside out by their weight. Cervical polyps are tumors of the cervix similar to fibroids and if they grow big, they may come out of vagina. They usually cause bleeding and discharge. So please check if you are having these symptoms. I will be able to help you better with better pictures and of good resolution. However in any case it is advisable for you to see your gynecologist as actual examination will be needed for diagnosis and formulating treatment. These are all very very common conditions in our outpatient department and are easily treatable. There is nothing to worry about. Please let me know about any more queries that you may have. I am always here. Thanks for choosing HCM. Have a good day. Dr Madhuri Bagde Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist