What causes productive cough,sinus draining,chills,aches, sneezing and watery eyes?
User rating for this question
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 days later
Brief Answer: the yelling would irritate the larynx Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Over use or straining of the larynx can sometimes result in a cough due to temporary irritation of the area. This response is usually temporary. The subsequent productive cough, sinus draining , chills, aches, sneezing and watery eyes are not related to the yelling incident but are likely caused by a new onset viral infection. Inflammation or irritation of the vocal cords would not cause those symptoms. The viral illnesses that can cause your symptoms include the common cold viruses or the flu virus. When the symptoms are related to the flu, the intensity is usually more severe compared to common cold symptoms- there is a persistently high fever, joint and muscle pain, fatigue, significantly reduced appetite. In very severe flu cases admission to hospital is required but most persons can be managed at home. Treatment would involve the following: (1) rest and adequate fluid intake, the fluids would help to replace any fluids loss as a result of fever and also decrease the thickness of the secretions (2) there are antihistamine and decongestant combinations that will help with the secretions. These medications are available over the counter and are also often combined with a cough suppressant The antihistamine aspect would help with the sneezing and itchy watery eyes (3)if the cough is wet, a mucolytic would help. Examples of mucolytics are bisolvan, mucomyst, mucinex. These would also decrease the thickness of the secretions (4)the use of a humidifier may also help relieve any congestion I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
People also viewed
- Is cough or hoarseness a side effect of mercaptopurine?
- Is stuffy or runny nose a side effect of levetiracetam?
- Sneezing causes eye twitch
- What causes loud sneezing
- Having foul smell after an abortion
- What causes productive coughsinus drainingchillsaches sneezing and watery eyes
- Are hiv and piles inter-related
- Which treatment will help in restoring hearing
- Is earache or pain in the ear a side effect of coartem?
- Is cough or hoarseness a side effect of co-trimoxazole?
- How deep is the womans vagina
- Is runny and or stuffy nose a side effect of d.h.e. 45?
- Sneezing causes eye floaters?
- What causes itching in eyes and nose followed by sneezing
- Can adderall give a false home pregnancy test