What causes productive cough?

I am an 81 yr old female, relatively in good health. I do not smoke or drink alcohol. I have been coughing for almost 2 week, day and night. cough is productive, but only clear mucous . I have no fever, aches or pain, no headache, no chills, no rash, just coughing uncontrollable . I have tried taking Delsun every 12hrs. but no relief .I also started using a humidifier at night hoping to get some relief.I have Hypertension, mild asthma, pre-diabetic A1C 97, controlled cholesterol with diet and statin drugs,. I weigh 110, 5'2" ,have seasonal allergies. My present medications my doctors prescribed are: Amlodipine Besylate 2.5mgtab. daily,Losartan 100mg tab. daily,Diltiazem XXXXXXX Er 100mg daily, Atorvastatin 10 mg tab. daily,Evista daily,Fluticasone nasal spray 50mcg in each nostril ones daily, Albuterol inhaler PRN, Medformin XXXXXXX 500 mg twice a day. Dr. Mintz, can you help me.?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Expectorant cough syrup like Bromhexine, Ambroxol. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. I suspect it to be due to Bronchitis. Usually productive cough lasting for more than a week need expectorants. In addition to above drugs, please take cough expectorant syrups like like Bromhexine or Ambroxol. Expectorants work by breaking up the mucus, thus making it easier for the body to cough it up. These medicines are often available over-the-counter(OTC). Drink plenty of fluids. Take a hot steamy shower to help break down the mucus (phlegm) and make it easier to cough up. keep yourself warm. Have plenty of bed rest. If the cough persists even after a week from now, then you might need Antibiotics and further evaluation like X-ray Chest, Spirometry tests and sputum examination. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.