What causes problem in seeing and reading even after cataract surgery in both eyes?

For my Father, for both the eyes Cataract operation has done, even though he is not able to read the books how he was reading before and they have told to change his spectacles after conducting eye test. Now he got new one even though he is not able to see properly. Please do helps us in this regard.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 48 hours later
Brief Answer: He requires correction by appropriate spectacles. Detailed Answer: Hello, welcome to health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that your father 69 years old has undergone cataract surgery for both the eyes and now he is not able to see properly for reading. After cataract surgery, all require correction for near vision as accommodation which occurs in natural lens which is responsible for near vision will be lost and will not be present with artificial intraocular lens which is implanted after cataract surgery. So first thing to be done is refraction and correction and correction for near vision with spectacles. If he is not seeing with the spectacles as you have mentioned in the history that he was not able to see before and now also. He requires evaluation to rule out diseases which affect the centrtre of the retina called as macula like macular degeneration. Infact the commonest cause for loss of vision in elderly individuals is age related macular degeneration. This requires evaluation by a retina specialist and treatment. If the disease is in early stages treatment is quite satisfactory. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you