Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes prickling sensation in the cheek after dental filling?

Excellent
Question
hi there hi there i had a refilling on the upper right pre molar tooth 3 months back. and after that im getting this wierd prickling feeling in my cheek and forehead. the tingling feeling in my cheek has almost gone but it remains in my forehead. i was told by the doctor that to give the nerve six months time to settle down. is the tingling sensation a sign of nerve recovery? the tooth is fine and NO root canal needed and will it get better after six months? i had rgum recession on the tooth the filling was done on the recessed part. the dentist put some bonding over there to reduce sensitivity.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: this may be related to tooth sensitivity Detailed Answer: Hello there, Thanks for writing in. According to your query following possibilities are there- 1.Tooth sensitivity because of gum recession. 2.Incorrect filling of related tooth. If you have pain on biting,it would be incorrect filling.In this case you should go back to your dentist and get old filling to be removed and take proper/correct filling in the same tooth. If pain is because of tooth sensitivity,in this case your dentist is right,this will take 6 months for complete recovery. Hope this will be helpful. If you have further any query,i will be happy to help you. Nothing to get worried. Take care. Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Follow-up: What causes prickling sensation in the cheek after dental filling? 25 minutes later
its just a prickling sensation in the cheek that is off and on and sometimes in the forehead. after the filling was put on the exposed part of the tooth because of gum recession. should i leave it like that till it get better? i heard nerve injuries takes rnd 6 months to recover.

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is not nerve injury. Detailed Answer: Hello there, Thanks for writing again. According to your query it seems that this may be because of filling close to nerve of your tooth,in this case you should go for an x-ray of the same tooth,if it is so,you should go for root canal treatment. I f your dentist has put some recovery material between tooth and filling ,it will take some time for complete recovery. If the same sensation persist after 6 months take an x-ray of the same tooth and go to an endodontist for consultation. Hope this will be helpful. Take care. Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Follow-up: What causes prickling sensation in the cheek after dental filling? 16 minutes later
yes he has put some recovery material like a bonding on the exposed part of the tooth where the gum recession is. x ray was taken and the dentist said i dont require a root canal. should i just leave it like this and wait for the tooth to settle down as i still get a little bit of that prickly sensation on my cheek and sometimes on my forehead. but not so frequently.

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Now you should wait for some time. Detailed Answer: Hello there, Thanks for writing again. Yes you should wait for some time because complete recovery take few months. So nothing to get worried,everything is all right. Take care. Dr. Gunjan Gupta