What causes pressure in arms and legs after acohol intake?

Hi for about the last ten months when I have a glass of wine or even.low alcolhol after a few sips I instantly get pressure in my arms and legs it lasts about 15 mins then stops. I am currently pregnant so am not drinking I have googled it and see that it is hodgkins. I am othetwisw fit sand healthy just concerned. Was hoping it might be a reaction or something My full bloods were normal
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Hodgkin's lymphoma needs ruling out Detailed Answer: Hello Mrs Jeni Woods, Thank you for choosing WWW.WWWW.WW for your health related query. I have carefully gone through your query and I understand your concern. I am afraid this might be initial stage of Hodgkin's lymphoma. Your presentation is most commonly associated with very early stages of Hodgkin's lymphoma during which time the blood picture might look normal and even the tumor may also be absent. Pain immediately after consuming alcohol is very uncommon, and as literature suggests, it happens in about 2 to 3% of individuals with Hodgkin's lymphoma. You would need to get yourself evaluated fully, you might need to get an MRI scan of the chest and abdomen as X-ray and CT scan can not be done since you are pregnant. Blood work can be very much normal in early Hodgkin's disease. The silver lining is, it is an early symptom and Hodgkin's can be cured with proper treatment. I am sorry to be putting you into stress, it is unfortunate but needs to be ruled out. Hope this answers your query, please feel free to write back to me if you have any more queries. Wishing you all the very best and good health and safe pregnancy. Warm regards.
Follow-up: What causes pressure in arms and legs after acohol intake? 8 minutes later
Thank you I am going to see my doctor on monday. Is there anything else it could be apart from hodgkins?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not many come to mind. Detailed Answer: Dear Mrs. Jeni, Thanks for writing back. The specific presentation is seen only in Hodgkin's, you may get pain immediately after consuming alcohol in abdomen if you have gastritis, or if the alcohol irritates the esophagus then the referred pain may be felt in the arms and shoulders but not in the legs. The way you describe your symptoms seems to be quite specific to Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hope I have addressed your query. Warm regards.