What causes presence of long fibrous string in my feces?

Yesterday I found a long fibrous string in my feces. It may have been 10" long. This morning I saw another string like object which had several nodes on it. I pulled it and it was strong but broke in two pieces. Very fibrous. About 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a short bout of diarrhea. With mucus and that was followed by constipation that prevented a BM for three days. The doctor told me to use ExLax which got my bowels moving again. Now this sudden appearance of stringy things has happened. Never experienced this before. Do you have any ideas?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible intestinal worm... Detailed Answer: Hi, The long fibrous string in your feces could be : - mucus thread - worms I suggest to send your stool to the lab for further examination: - microscopical examination for ova/parasites - culture of stool and sensitivity - abdominal ultrasound Depending on the test results, appropriate treatment will be prescribed. All the best! Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: What causes presence of long fibrous string in my feces? 1 hour later
This sounds like i should see my internist as soon as possible. I cant send a stool sample on my own, can i? Is there anything i can do on my own to treat this?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 days later
Brief Answer: you need to be examinated..... Detailed Answer: Hi again You are right , I think that you should see your physician and perform the exams. There is nothing that you can do , you need to be examined and than the treatment. Wishing you all the best. Dr.Klerida