What causes popping sound in chest followed by intense pain during a work out?

Last august at the gym I was doing an exercise that caused a popping sound in my chest followed by intense pain. I eventually saw the doctor after it was clear it wasn't getting better. Only worse. The doctor said something about mechanical damage in my chest and gave me anti inflamatories and gave 2 weeks off gym. It was fine for awhile but I always knew something wasn't right, and in the last month the pain when I sneeze or go into a certain position causes intense pain on the right hand side of my chest, close to my sternum. The pain causes me to stop breathing for 20 seconds or so and it stays around for the next 5 minutes. What could be wrong?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be costochondral trauma Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX From your history it seems like a costochondral trauma, in which there is some trauma to the costochondral junction due to some sports. The injury may cause sprain, subluxation or dislocation. The severity of the injury is determined by the pain and swelling present and if there is a palpable defect at the area. If there is dislocation, the examining doctor will be able to reduce the joint to normal position. The reductions are preferably in emergency room or by orthopedic surgeon. After determining that the reduction has been done or reduction is not needed, a pressure pad and an elastic rib belt will be needed to keep the joint stable. Further trauma to the joint should be avoided for atleast 6 - 8 weeks. The rib belt should be worn 24 hours for atleast 3 - 4weeks. It can be other causes too. Thus a detailed examination and further tests will be needed. I think a rib belt is definitely needed. Hope it answers your query. Take care. Dr Vaishalee