Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes poor urine stream when suffering from Parkinson's Disease?

Jul 2016

I have had Parkinson's Disease for 8 years. Lately when going to void it takes longer to do so.The stream is very slow is this a part of the disease or should I see an urologist? I am a 78 year old female.It seems to take a few .seconds and then there is more to void
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is due to what is called as Neurogenic Bladder. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Parkinson's disease since 8 years and now facing problems like poor stream, delayed urination etc. This is due to Parkinson's Disease itself and is due to what is called as Neurogenic Bladder where by power of bladder muscles is reduced due to involvement of nerves. Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and get following basic tests done under his guidance. 1) Routine urine test and culture. 2) Cystometry and Urodynaemic study of the bladder to find out the strength of bladder muscles and urine flow. 3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy). Further treatment will depend upon outcome of these tests. Use of drugs like Bethanechol will help to increase the power of bladder muscles and thereby to improve urine flow and decrease time to empty bladder. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.