What causes pneumonia and what precautions should be taken to build immunity to avoid relapse?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Yes please. I was diagnosed and hospitalized for pneumonia 2 weeks ago. I am interested in how one acquires pneumonia and what can be done to build the immune system. I am a public school teacher and I have dealth with Bronchitis on a regular basis and then I was stricken at school with extreme fevers and chills. So.... I am wanting to build myself up so that this never happens again. A very horrifying experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Pneumonia is acquired when in contact with sick persons, especially when your immune system is weak. As a public school teacher, you have more chances to get upper respiratory infections easily as you are in contact with children (who get easily cold) and with other teachers. I'd advise to: - if you have any sick student, make him/her put a facial mask. At their contagious days, keep them at home - try to keep good hygiene by washing hands regularly - try not to smoke or avoid exposure to smoking areas - have flu shots to prevent having flu easily (consult your doctor first) - ask your doctor if you are eligible for the pneumococcial vaccine - keep the rooms or the places where you stay/live well ventilated (even if it is cold, especially when it is sunny) Wishing not to deal with pneumonia anymore! Dr.Bardha