What causes pins and needles sensation after getting hot?

I have severe pins & needles sensation after getting hot. What is causing this sensation.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Niaspan the cause to getting hot&severe pins... Detailed Answer: Hi, You are reporting to be taking Niaspan to lower high cholesterol. The use of Niaspan (niacin generic) in high doses is associated with getting hot and severe pins and needles sensations as you are feeling now. I strongly suggest to stop using Niaspan and discuss with your physician about these side effects and to get another natural option to improve your lipid panel. Please bare in mind that lifestyle and diet changes are also important in lowering cholesterol numbers. All the best! Dr.Alba
Follow-up: What causes pins and needles sensation after getting hot? 52 minutes later
I know Niaspan can cause this but I have been taken for over three years with no symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further tests are needed for evaluation.... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. You are saying not to have symptoms, but at the same time, you are mentioning this severe pins & needles sensation after getting hot. Again, it could be related to feeling hot or impaired nerves function (damages). Nerve damages can happen after long time use of high dose of niacin too. If I was your caring doctor would advise to stop taking it and also suggest to: - do some neurological exams (to exclude nerve damages) - do some cardiac tests (EKG, cardiac echo, holter monitoring) to exclude cardiac issues. Regular monitoring of blood pressure and blood glucose is also recommended. Thank you! Dr.Alba