What causes pins and needles in throat with dryness and numbness?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I have pins and needles in my throat, accompanied by dryness and numbness
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: do not worry Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to Health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon who has treated thousands with throat problems over the years and I will try to help you out with your problem. At the offset let me assure you that it may just be an reflux or a mild infection which you are suffering from and in all probability it will become better in a week or so from now. When you are stressed out or when you scream or shout, our throat comes under a lot of stress directly or indirectly and this may also lead to the problems which you are facing right now. Also since you are under medication for hypertension like the Ramipril, which though safe, is known to cause a little throat irritation which will usually subside over time. You need to also note that if you have nose block, even then you may have throat dryness and the pins and needles so kindly let me know if you do have nose block and headache. In any case you need to relax and do these immediately: 1. Take salt water gargle with warm water at least twice a day. Since you are hypertensive, you can gargle with minimum salt or even plain warm water. 2. Start an anti reflux tablet like pantoprazole along with a multivitamin like the zincovit. These will help your throat to be resistant to irritation and also keep the reflux under check. Your doctor will know about these medications. 3. Unless you do not have pain or other symptoms you do not need to take antibiotics or pain killers. 4. Take only bland diet for the next one week 5. Avoid anything spicy, oily or high flavoured 6. If possible take complete voice rest and if not then use your voice judiciously and do not scream or whisper. Look at your neck muscles in the mirror and if they appear taut when you speak that means you are straining so do not do that. 7. Keep you blood pressure under control. 8. Your blood sugars should also be kept under good control. 9. As I mentioned earlier, nose block can also lead to such symptoms. Try steam inhalation with menthol about two to three times in a day for a week or so and see if this helps. 10. Wait for a week or two for these to work and if that does not improve your condition then you must take an endoscopy of the upper GI and also throat swab along with complete blood profile and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the reports. Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to clear any more doubts that you may have. Take care and get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan