What causes pins and needle sensation with numbness on legs and elbows?

Every morning I wake up with pins and needles in my toes goes away when I walk have back and leg pain sometimes numbness and pins and needles but goes away also pain in elbows sometimes and pins and needles in fingertips sometimes not diabetic had blood work done everything ok had 4 Mri of the brain in the last 5 years negative Cervical and thoracic negative had some findings in lumbar also Dr says it's not ms but what is the likelihood they are wrong saying it's fibromyalgia
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: For sure not fibromyalgia, at least for now! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this pain and neurological symptoms that you have been experiencing. I hope we get to find real solutions to help you overcome this. considering the information you have provided, this is clearly a neuropathic pain. It closely fits peripheral neuropathy. Given the fact that different investigations have shown no abnormality, tackling with drugs adapted for this would be the next best thing to do. Drugs like anti depressants, anti seizures, etc have shown some great successes in this. The goal is in starting and making adjustments based on response. It is very unlikely to be fibromyalgia. This condition presents with generalized musculo skeletal pains associated with mood disturbance, sleep disorders, fatigue, memory issues, etc. Unless you report some of these with wide spread pains, this is not a possible cause. In all, let your doctor try using appropriate drugs for peripheral neuropathy, monitor and adjust accordingly. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Please, feel free to request for more information if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What causes pins and needle sensation with numbness on legs and elbows? 17 minutes later
I had a emg it rules out the peripheral what other condition can cause these symptoms I more concerned that it's ms 2 Dr states it fibromyalgia i also suffer from anxiety
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for following up with me. Detailed Answer: 1. Peripheral neuropathy is not diagnosed with an EMG. It is mainly a diagnosis made by listening to you and examination. EMG would rarely be asked to make this diagnosis. If you had reported muscle weakness, then it would have made it very useful to see where and which nerve is injured. In any case, a trial of treatment would most likely prove this right or wrong. 2. multiple sclerosis cannot be completely ruled out without a brain MRI to see if there are any changes in the brain. However, your symptoms are not strongly suggestive because these symptoms usually come and go with intervals of no symptoms. Do you have any family history of this? If so, I will suggest you get a brain RI to clarify any doubts. 3. Fibromyalgia is characterized by widespread pains. We have 18 points we cal tender points and at least 11 of them should be tender before we can conclude that you have this condition. You have not reported this pain across many different areas of the body and I would not really want to think this is a possible cause. Toes and fingertips are not part of these points. In all, I am more about peripheral neuropathy. I will suggest that you get tried on the appropriate medications. Low possibility for ms but if too concerned I will recommend a brain MRI to get all doubts addressed. Thanks. I wish you well and would gladly welcome further concerns. Dr. Ditah, MD.