What causes pinched nerve in the back with pain in tailbone?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have pinched nerve in my back from a fall as well as sever pain from tailbone. I had an mri done one month ago for back. I cannot get any relief and need some help.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's due to COCCYDYNIA Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your symptoms in the description are highly suggestive of COCCYDYNIA secondary to injury due to fall. It implies pain arising in and around the tail bone area. The general treatment guidelines for the condition are as follows - * Sit completely upright with proper posture — keeping your back firmly against the chair, knees level with your hips, feet flat on the floor and shoulders relaxed * Sitz baths (which involves soaking hips and buttocks in warm water) * Lean forward while sitting down * Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion * Apply heat or ice to the affected area *Physical therapy involving strengthening of pelvic area muscles , stimulation with ultrasound therapy * Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil). In case of severe incapacitating pain, Narcotic analgesic are to be taken, with the advice of a physician. With the above measures, you should get significant pain relief within a short time. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards