What causes pigmented spots around the ankles?

Hello. I have some spots around my ankles that look like dirt, but they don't come off. The spots are arranged as if they were left from indentations from socks. I generally don't scrub my ankles in the shower very often.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Spots around ankle, harmless skin condition Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. The skin lesions that you have around your ankle are called pigmented purpuric dermatosis or schambergs disease. Now this is basically just a cosmetic problem since these spots are essentially harmless in nature. These spots actually appear due to moving out of rbc's which is the red blood cells out of the blood vessels. This can occur due to gravity or it can occur in people with jobs requiring prolonged standing. This leads to development of spots over the skin. Although this looks bad to eye but it is a very common and harmless condition. So all you need to do is to moisturize the skin. You can take oral vitamin c tablets to further strengthen the blood vessels. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul