What causes pigmentation in the oral cavity?

ENT Specialist
hi, I was brushing and found a black spot about the size of pen head, right hand side of my mouth. behind my last tooth. this is new and I cant recall pinching or biting it. it isnt sore, however i tryed to brush it thinking it was just a mark. now feels irritated, I have previous dental issues so am feeling concerned.. I suffer from receeding gum line, minor at this stage
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: nothing to worry Detailed Answer: Hi, Pigmentation in the oral cavity is commonly seen in smokers and tobacco chewers. Rarely pigmentation is also seen in otherwise healthy indivisuals. I do not think your condition is related to dental problems. Do not worry. At your age it is highly unlikely that it is anything serious. Keep a watch on it. If it increases in size or changes in colour or texture or ulcerates then you should pay a visit to an ENT specialist. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.