What causes persistent pain in calf muscle?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Every day night i am feeling pain in calf muscle and every day need to apply pain release Lotion. Then only I can sleep. Even check with doctor they just advicing for walking. Is any solution is there for Pain releif.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usually harmless Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. After going through the description, I understand your concern regarding your symptoms. Most of the time, night leg cramps occur for no known reason, and they're usually harmless. In general, night leg cramps are likely to be related to muscle fatigue and nerve problems. Infact, till date there is no clear cut evidence for the cause of muscle cramps. But the most common cited theories include - - Altered neuromuscular control - Dehydration - Electrolyte depletion - Poor conditioning - Muscle fatigue - Doing a new activity Self-care Activities that might help prevent night leg cramps include: • Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration • Stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes before you go to bed. • Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or with ice. • Walking or jiggling the leg. • Taking a hot shower or warm bath. • Foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit may be helpful in relieving muscle cramps. • Including calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, parsley, prunes, sesame seeds, tofu and XXXXXXX can help to stave off muscle spasm. Vitamin D supplements will also help in relieving myalgia. • Avoid foods acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes persistent pain in calf muscle? 9 minutes later
Kindly advice on the medcine and Lotion to apply when pain occurs
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can take ibuprofen(motrin) Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX You can take ibuprofen(motrin) 1 tab as and when required to relieve the pain. I generally advice systaflam gel to my patients for local application over affected part. I hope you have got your answer. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, sothat I get a good feedback.