What causes persistent pain in arms,neck and shoulders?

My granddaughter slept on my arm over an hour a month ago. Pain still in that arm. Also neck and shoulder pain All left side I don't know if it is a pinched nerve, but know heart issues involve the left side
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: No worries, Detailed Answer: Good day XXXX Thank you for asking. I am Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your pain in left arm, neck and shoulder. Miss XXXXXXX pain that persistent is not likely to be heart issue. It was overburdened arm due to your daughter's head pressure for more than an hour. It needs some rest, some acetaminophen and some muscle relaxants like tizanidine, orphenadrine etc with some topical NSAIDs to relieve the pain. If the problem persists seek a nearby physician. To rule out any cardiac involvement which is least likely, i recommend a simple EKG considering your concerns for heart involvement. Miss XXXXXXX hope it helps.Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please. Regards Khan
Follow-up: What causes persistent pain in arms,neck and shoulders? 3 minutes later
And you are not concerned that this has gone for a month
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sorry for the inconvenience Detailed Answer: Miss XXXXXXX thank you for asking again! You mistake intent. i meant their is no concern for cardiac issue. Heart pains and anginal episodes are acute and they have their own presentation. It is a muscle spasm with fragile bones and geriatric age succumbed to the head pressure of your grand daughter. Symptomatic relief would help. And seeking ER visit to rule out prophylactically the cardiac issue was my request. I do am concerned and i would like to be kept posted about your pain. But i repeat it is more likely a neuromuscular origin and above mentioned medicines would help. Seek a neurologist if the relief wasn't achieved. I am sorry for the inconvenience and hope you see it in a right perspective. RegardsKhan
Follow-up: What causes persistent pain in arms,neck and shoulders? 27 minutes later
I promise this is my last question. I know you care. There is one really weird symptom. When I burp my left arm hurts
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: :) Detailed Answer: Good day Miss XXXX Now that is a point you should have mentioned. It changes complete scenario. It is a GERD manifestation and GERD also presents as that way. You need a diet and lifestyle modification for that Following will help Losing weight (if overweight) Avoiding alcohol, chocolate, citrus juice, and tomato-based products Avoiding peppermint, coffee, and possibly the onion family Eating small, frequent meals rather than large meals Waiting 3 hours after a meal to lie down Refraining from ingesting food (except liquids) within 3 hours of bedtime Elevating the head of the bed 8 inches Avoiding bending or stooping positions If the problem persisted, seek a gastroenterologist for further management with medications and any thing else if need be.. Hope i was of some help Take care and if thats it close the discussion please. Regards Khan