What causes persistent headaches?

Nov 2013

I am 64 year old male with 32 year history of headache. Drs have described my headaches as vascular tension, migraine, muscle contraction, etc. Sometimes I get aura most of the time not. The last few years my headaches seem to give me intermittent headache that can last from a few days to several weeks. Prior to using Cymbalta and depakote my headaches were more frequent and longer...up to 2-3 months. I have used Paxil, and also another med that caused kidney stones. My MRI have all been normal...last one 1 1/2 years ago. Recently a endrocondrologist found a very small pituitary tumor that he said may have been there for years. He said it's the type you watch but take no action. I seem to be getting a few more breakthrough headaches...the pain is a 3 out of 10 but after 3 weeks I would give duration a 9. Sometimes toradol breaks it up sometimes not. What would you suggest or try to break it up?? I should also mention we have tried Botox which has had some success. Your input appreciated.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: The most likely diagnosis is migraine. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms and medical details. I also noted the medications you have had so far. The most likely cause of your headaches could be migraine. This is also known as vascular headaches. In addition, tension or muscle contraction headache features may have been there at times. Depakote, topamax (that caused renal stones) and botox are approved and standard treatments of migraine (all of which have helped you to some extent). Pituitary tumor is not related to your headaches. At this stage, since your headaches are frequent, you may require preventive medications to reduce the severity and frequency of headaches. The options include depakote and botox (used by you earlier) OR beta blockers. For relief of headache, you may take rizatriptan tablets. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: