What causes persistent dry cough?

General Surgeon
Hi. My 5 yr old son has had a bad cough for 2 weeks now.I had a ambulance called for him and they checked him and said he was fine. No asthma. Lungs clear. Circulation 100%. Its a very dry cough but it is very bad. He wakes up coughing in the middle of the night. Went to our g. p . Whi also said he was fine but im still very worried. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Persistent cough is due to hyperactive airway Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I do understand your concern and apprehension. Persistent dry cough is usually due to hyper reactive airway after viral infection or persistent infection. There is no cause for concern if his respiratory rate is normal and he is accepting feeds well. I would suggest you the following which will definitely help 1. Warm saline gargling : Add two spoon of common table salt to glass of lukewarm water. Make him gargle with it for 3 to 4 times a day 2. Cough suppressant syrup containing codeine will be very helpful 3. Decoction : To a cup of milk + 10 Tulsi leaves + 1 spoon of turmeric + 2 gm of fresh ginger + 2 spoon of sugar. Bring it to boil and feed him warm. Two to three times a day. Of the above ingredients are available in your country it will definitely help. Being a Pediatric Surgeon, I prefer and advice this in all my patients and it definitely helps by providing soothening effect to inflamed pharynx. 4. 2 spoon of honey+ 2 drops of lemon juice + little of crushed ginger. Give him in spoon thrice a day. I suggest you to follow it and your son will definitely feel better. At any given point you need any further assistance, I will be extremely glad to assist you. Wishing your son a speedy recovery. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon