What causes persistent cough and cold?

sir iam suffering cough cold from mouth for one month i see the doctor he use tabs for 1 weak not problem is same after that doc says xray for chest and blood test . there is no problem after 5days i suffer cough is normal.then it comes 6to8 times per day that time some is in my throuht that time iam suffer no brething too much some cold is in my throught that time doc says you see gastroentrologist isee the the doc he use endoscopy tthere is no problem he suggest gasome syrup three times per day three tea spoons and deaxit tab for night no recover my problem that coming time some is in through then too much problem what is y problem
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please mention all the medicines used Detailed Answer: Hi As I understand you are suffering from cough and cold for one month. You used a lot of medicines by your doctor and Gastroenterologist as well. Still you have problems after using the medicines. Is it? Please provide following details. 1) What are all the medicines and their doses used and how long? 2) Do you smoke or did you ever smoke? 3) Did you get lung function test like PEF, PVC? Please answer these queries.
Follow-up: What causes persistent cough and cold? 30 minutes later
i use so many anti biatic tabs with 625 mg and ascoril syrup are used smoking leave at 10 years 3no lungs function tests
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need to assess lung function Detailed Answer: Hi, After viral infection cough can progress up to 3 months. It is known. So you should be on regular cough medicines till the time the cough goes off completely. Ask your doctor to change the medicine regularly for cough so that you will not be addicted. I would suggest a strong cough medicine like codeine at this stage. It would be good to assess the need for lung function and patch test for allergens if the cough progresses over 2 months. Since there was smoking for sometime we need to understand the lung function. Chronic allergic bronchitis is also a possibility at this stage for subacute cough. Hope this helps.