What causes persistent bump on thumb?

I have a picture id like you to look at. I have had this bump on my thumb for about a couple of years and am not sure what it is. I even asked the doctor and he said he wasn't sure but definitely didn't like like a wart, bug bit or anything. But I need a second opinion. Does it look like anything serious like a wart or no? It doesn't hurt, or sting, and hasn't changed sized or color. Its been the same size for however long it has been there.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question & helpful photograph. Due to its appearance (small size, symmetric, well delineated, relatively non-pigmented) and the history you describe this is suspicious for a benign growth of some sort. A hemangioma (benign growth of blood vessels), ganglion cyst, or nevus (mole) are considerations. However, an examination by a dermatologist and perhaps a simple excision of the nodule is the only definitive way to obtain a diagnosis. It would be very reasonable for you to see a physician specialist for this. Of course, any changes in the nodule are reasons for you to see a physician sooner. Again, thank you for sharing your question. Take Care, Dr. G