What causes persistent bad pain in my right side ?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have very bad pain in my right side comes from my back then under my ribs.. had test done and all came back with no problems. The pain is very bad all the time sometimes wakes me up at night.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Description below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The pain that you have is likely to be due to a muscle sprain or a muscle fibers tear. Since the pain is persistent and ongoing it needs to be investigated. MRI scan is the investigation of choice to detect any such soft tissue abnormalities. In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief: - Give enough rest to back. - Alter your sleeping position if you are having trouble sleeping -Keep moving with gentle exercise such as swimming, walking or cycling which are low impact - Gentle stretching exercises for the muscles of your back - Take mild pain killers like ibuprofen. - Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help. - Hot compresses to your back will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes persistent bad pain in my right side ? 3 minutes later
THank you for getting back to me with your answer. My Dr. will not send me for a CT scan or a MIR as I requested she said it her job to taker care of it. I also have seen chiropractor with no help. Again thank you for your answer.
Brief Answer: Hope this discussion was useful. Detailed Answer: Hi, I am glad to know that I could address your concern. If the pain persist you need to discuss again for MRI with your doctor. Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.