What causes peripheral neuropathy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Im XXXXXXX something bothers me while resting, specially in legs, back and sometimes at the back of my head, it's like a worm or running in my body what is it? Ican't sleep even the day or night?thanks
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be due to many causes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It looks like you are suffering from peripheral neuropathy which can happen due to diabetes nutritional deficiency,allergic reactions,excessive cold,exposure to chemicals,electrolyte imbalance stress etc. If you have been smoking heavily and regularly then it could also be a reason. Some measures: 1)Stop smoking completely for few days and observe for changes. 2)Avoid alcohol,sea food as it may trigger an allergic reaction.Prefer having home made food. 3)Apply petroleum jelly overnight. 4)Have a glass of orange juice or any mixed fruit so that if any electrolyte imbalance is corrected. 5)Avoid stress and relax your mind. If the symptoms persist even after 5 days or worsen consider visiting a Physician for evaluation as a physical examination would be beneficial. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL