What causes passing out of mucous pulg in cervical canal and is it because of pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I was wondering if it possible to lose a small round ball of mucous (white) that just slid out after urinating. Not pink or bloody, No bleeding right after. What is this and could it be mucous from the cervical canal that could have come out in one white blob in the very early stages of a pregnancy before I knew I was ever pregnant. Like right after a implantation or what. This is puzzling me. I have looked online and nobody has an answer. Some just said they lost a blob or white tissue in toilet. Nobody had an answer.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: confirm pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have read your query & I understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) It is possibly mucous plug which is in cervical canal. 2) But passing out of plug can happen anytime and not necessarily in pregnancy. 3) Hence please get confirmation of pregnancy by doing serum beta hCG. I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have. Regards, Dr.Mahesh Koregol IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: What causes passing out of mucous pulg in cervical canal and is it because of pregnancy? 24 minutes later
I have never had this happen before or after this incident. Usually discharge is wiped after urination. Never had a ball of thick white mucous just roll into toilet after urination. Could this be a chemical pregnancy. This incident happpened so very early probably right after conception. Way early.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi This has nothing to do with conception. Due to hormonal variation mucous plug is formed and sometimes its bit large. It is same plug. This does not confirm either pregnancy or abortion. Please get serum beta hCG for confirmation Regards

Follow-up: What causes passing out of mucous pulg in cervical canal and is it because of pregnancy? 10 minutes later
Could this happen shortly after implanttion ?? Then proceed to have a period basically around the normal time. Do not really remember if there were any differences in my period following this. It is too late to test. I have been pondering this question ---should have thought about this sooner. Just wanted to put this to rest.

Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi, This does not happen after implantation. You are mistaken. Please remove that thought from your mind. Regards

Follow-up: What causes passing out of mucous pulg in cervical canal and is it because of pregnancy? 16 minutes later
SORRY TO KEEP ASKING BUT WHY COULD THIS NOT HAPPEN IF THERE WOULD BE INCREASE IN CERVICAL MUCOUS TO THIS AREA IF VERY EARLY IN PREGNANCY . FIRST 2-3 WEEKS. hENCE A MUCOUS PLUG IN THE CERVICAL CANAL. THEN FOR WHATEVER REASON MAYBE LOST MUCUS PLUG BECASUE SOMETHING WRONG WITH OVUM (EMBRYO). PLUG SLID OUT WHILE AFTER URINATION AND THEN JUST HAD A AN EARLY MISCARRIAGE AND THOUGHT IT NORMAL PERIOD. ALSO WOULD THIS EARLY PLUG BE PINK TINGED OR HAVE SOME BLOODY DISCHARGE AFTER IT WAS RELEASED. NEVER HAD PINK OR BLOOD WITH THIS PLUG. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE. YOU HAVE BEEN VERY PAIENT WITH ME!!!

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi You are right. This mucous plug could also have been formed if there was pregnancy and dislodged during miscarriage. This is more likely in term pregnancies and not in miscarriages so early. But then the chances of it are very less as compared to natural physiologic formation of mucous plug and its dislodgement with normal cycle. There is no way we can accurately differentiate if there was a pregnancy just by passing of a mucous plug. Only beta hCG can determine pregnancy. I will be happy to answer if there are more doubts. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol