What causes panic diorder?

Why am i always scared something might happen to me? I get up at night i be worried? I get daft things coming in head
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Clarifications required Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1) Does it stay in episodes or is it continuous? 2) What are you afraid of? Can you give some examples? 3) HOw long has it been happening? 4) HOw isit affecting you? 5) Do you feel a sense of impending doom? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: What causes panic diorder? 5 hours later
It happens when alone and im afraid of having a illness , that i am dying. This has happened for about 1 year. I am fighting it but i be afraid going out. If i see someone have a heart attack or anything i look fir symptoms . No dhoom
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Panic disorder Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up details. The condition that you are suffering from is called panic disorder. In this disorder there the the symptoms that you have just described. It is very common affecting normally 10 to 15 of the population although to different extent. Coming to the treatment part, paroxetine and sertraline are good options for your illness. They will reduce the anxiety and you can live a more productive life with out any distress. These medications may have to be taken daily for next 7 to 8 months so that this problem doesnt recurr. Cognitive behavioural therapy is another option wherein the therapist engages in therapy with the patient and tries to change the thinking pattern of the patient. Hope that helps If you need any further coarifications do let me know. Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow-up: What causes panic diorder? 4 minutes later
Ok i will look into medicine . I really am very thankful for your answers. I try my best to fight it. I stopped playing cricket thinking i might have cardiac arrest etc. i just want to finsh it and not be anxious
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Do seek treatment Detailed Answer: Hello You should certainly take treatment for this illness and the medicines are very safe. You can play cricket and this will not harm you. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy