What causes palpitations, weakness and loss of appetite?

What causes palpitations,feeling weak and loss of appetite
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 hours later

The most common clinical condition where you can see palpitations, weakness and loss of appetite is Anaemia.

Other possibility includes Hyperthyroidism. However the third component of loss of appetite is absent here.

In an age of 58 years, the cause of palpitations can be benign ectopic cardiac beats or sinus Tachyarrhythmia. This may be accompanied by feeling weak and loss of appetite too.

One other reason is nutritional deficiency of the essential vitamins.

Essential Hypertension, cardiac ischemia and cancer are rarer but serious causes for the same.

Hope to have answered your query. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: What causes palpitations, weakness and loss of appetite? 5 minutes later
Could it be a sign of prolonged stress aswell?.and what would be your advice if someone is having these symptoms.they are not vey serious but they occur here and there.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You are right in saying that these could be signs of prolonged stress.

If I were your doctor, I would do a routine Electrocardiogram (ECG) in you to rule out cardiac cause as the symptoms persist here and there. If the ECG report is normal, I would advise you to de-stress yourself regularly.

You could possibly try meditation, yoga and XXXXXXX breathing exercises to get rid of the palpitations.

I also suggest you to exercise daily for about 30 to 40 minutes, so that you do not feel weak and your appetite increases.

A well-planned healthy diet with vegetables, fruits and nuts will help you live a long quality life.

Following a healthy lifestyle, a positive attitude towards life, indulging in productive hobbies and enthusiasm for life itself will solve most of your symptoms.

Please make sure you eat on time and eat three meals in a day even though you may not feel hungry.

Try these suggestions.

If you do not have further queries, please accept my answer and write a review.