What causes pains in right carotid artery?

I have an unusual problem. I am a 61 yr. old female with arthritic issues and progressive spinal disease. Today, I started having pains in my right carotid artery. Am I just being a hypochondriac or is this a legitimate concern?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for sending in your query. There are many structures in the neck region other than carotid artery. There are nerves, lymph nodes, veins and glands like salivary and thyroid, apart from the muscles, bones and fat layer in the region. If its a slight pain then its unlikely to be the carotid artery. Often pain with swelling in the region is due to enlarged lymph nodes in mild infections. You may get yourself clinically examined by your doctor and take medications if you have developed an infection. Hope this answers your query. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: What causes pains in right carotid artery? 16 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for accepting my reply. Wishing you good health. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor