What causes pain,redness and swelling in eyes with knot behind ear on the same side?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
This is for an opthomologist. My eye is terrible red and swollen..almost shut....It looks like I have been hit in that eye..and I have a knot behind the ear on the same side. I went to my eye doctor who is an optometrist and he gave me some drops LOTEMAX...But I am still in pain and this morning it does not look any better.
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: It may be because of infective conjunctivitis. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having red and swollen eye with pain and associated with knot behind the ear on the same side. The pain, redness and swelling of the eye is because of infection of the eye like infective conjunctivitis. The knot behind the ear indicates enlarged lymph node commonly seen in viral infections and some times in bacterial infections. The treatment of the condition is by using oral antiinflammatory drugs and antibiotic eye drops. You have shown to optometrist and he has given Lotemax eye drops. lOTEMAX eye drops is a steroid eye drops and it should be used under cover of antibiotics. Once the infection is controlled steroid drops like Lotemax should be used. I would treat patients with above symptoms by antibiotic eye drops like Ofloxacin or Tobramycin and once the infection is controlled I will use steroid eye drops like Lotemax. Hence I advice you to consult eye doctor or ophthalmologist for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment under his supervision. Hope I have answered your query and the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Follow-up: What causes pain,redness and swelling in eyes with knot behind ear on the same side? 10 minutes later
He did NOT give me an antibiotic drop. He is an optomitrist only...Maybe he can not prescribe antibiotics? But he did not give me that...only the steriod...

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antibiotic eye drops should be used first. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up It is better to start antibiotic eye drop and use steroid eye drop later once the infection is controlled as I had explained in my last answer. If there is no infection as confirmed after examination by eye doctor, then only steroid eye drops can be used. Hence I advice you to consult eye doctor to take second opinion and for examination to confirm the diagnosis and for treatment accordingly. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you