Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes painful spots on my tongue with a previous history of geographical tongue?

Hi, I experienced a HORRIBLE case of geographical tongue 6 yrs ago during pregnancy. Hasn't been that bad until last year while I was dieting and noticed the apples I was eating was causing sore spots on my tongue and they had raised rings around the sore spot. Last night I had a piece of pizza and then strawberries with cool whip. I didn't even get finished and a very painful spot came up on my tongue. I sucked on a Tums which actually helped but is there anything I can do for it? Anything I can take before I eat to prevent this? It was very painful last night and still sore as I write this. Thank you
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Apply topical analgesics and antiseptics. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum, As you night be knowing GEOGRAPHIC TONGUE is a harmless, beningn condition that isn't linked to any other infection. This condition comprise of irregular patches on the tongue surface that move from one area to another in days, weeks or months. The cause is unknown but could be related to any parafunctional habits like scalloping on the sides of tongue, hormonal changes, psychological stress, genetic reasons. Seeing your Dentist is the best way to rule out the problem, get the complete examination of the mouth and tongue, also get the test to rule out other medical conditions. I would suggest you the following measures at home; - To overcounter the pain take pain killers, also antiinflammatories under the prescription of your Dentist. - Apply Dologel oral ointment topically over the affected area. - Take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses. - Avoid hot and spicy foodstuffs. - Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption as this may worsen the condition. - Take multivitamin suplements and antioxidants, zinc suplements. - Topical corticosteroids can be applied directly on tongue. - Get complete oral and physical examination done. Hope you find this as informative and helpful. Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Follow-up: What causes painful spots on my tongue with a previous history of geographical tongue? 7 hours later
Thank you Dr. Ammara. It is a very frustrating thing to go through especially since I am trying to eat better (fruits) and this definitely is a deterrent! I have read that your tongue can tell you about your thyroid. I have hypothyroidism. Do you know if there is any truth to this? Thank you again, I will try what you suggested. Blessings, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 14 hours later
Brief Answer follow earlier suggestions Detailed Answer: Welcome back, I understand your concern, yes of course there are symptoms of hypothyroidism which are seen on your Tongue. These are the tongue becomes dry,coated, discoloured, or painful, the tongue also swells in the mouth which leaves teeth marks on the edges which gives a scalloping appearance and sometimes there is a small difficulty in pronunciation of certain words. I would suggest you to maintain a good oral hygiene, clean your tongue slowly with a soft bristle toothbrush, take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses. Also consult your Endocrinologist for treatment of hypothyroidism. Hope you find this as helpful, Wishing you a healthy recovery! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Follow-up: What causes painful spots on my tongue with a previous history of geographical tongue? 13 minutes later
Thank you again, I appreciate your detailed answers!
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: my pleasure, Detailed Answer: my pleasure, God Bless!