What causes painful lump in the labia?

I have a painful lump in one of my labia majors folds. It has turned a deep purple color. I have no other symptoms except discomfort. What could this be? Also, is a palpable nodule and not a lesion type blister.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Local examination by gynec, verify diagn & treat Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to Healthcare Magic. The swelling at that site can be a boil, a Barthllin cyst/abscess or a wart if it's surface is rough and velvety. Please let me know- 1. Since how long it is there? 2. Has is got rough surface? If possible upload side and front photo. The swelling seems to be Bartholin's cyst most likely and drainage is most suitable option. This can be done on outpatient basis and under local anesthesia, procedure is almost painless. It is highly advisable that you get a local examination by a gynaecologist of your locality for verification of the diagnosis and definitive treatment. Other two possibilities can be treated by local antimicrobial application Take care.