What causes painful hematuria?

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
I woke up this morning and when I peed I had a lot of pain and I bleed a little afterwards. What could be wrong
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that You had a painful hematuria , there can be multiple causes for this . But stones remain one of the most common causes specially Kidney and bladder stones . Medications that increase the risk of bleeding, such as aspirin, warfarin which people commonly take at your age may also be the cause . Trauma affecting the urinary tract or the prostate may be the cause.sometimes Urinary tract infections are also there . I will like you to consult a urologist for the same . A USG Abdomen , Cystoscopy , urine r/m needs to be done for establishing the diagnosis . Risk for malignancy is less because it causes painless hematuria but needs to be ruled out . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes painful hematuria? 12 hours later
I have no flank pain. Would you still think a stone is the problem? The only pain I have is in my penis , mostly when I pee but it hurts after also.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, What we can do is to just consider the possibilities, where the pain will arise depends upon the location of stone so it is still a possibility that you can have the stone . Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes painful hematuria? 8 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX So you are saying that if I have a stone it is in or near the penis. How long does it usually take for a stone to pass from that point? And is it possible for a stone to get to this point without causing any pain at all?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, No I dont mean that . I want to say that where the pain will present depends on the location of stone . sometimes when the stone is in urethra the pain can be radiated to testes and penis also so we need to exclude that . Other causes also needs consideration but as it is the commonest one so we need to rule it out first. Dr. Shruti