What causes painful feeling in the lower back of my head while laughing?

Oncologist
Question
Hi when i have a good laugh i get a tightness painful feeling in the lower back of my head just under the natural bump there. Why would this happen?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Intense laughter can increase the intracranial pressure in the head. Also, it engages many muscles of the face and head. Make sure to stay well-hydrated and observant regarding if you feel this sensation during other activities (exercise, physical strain). If you feel lightheaded or dizzy, please see a doctor for a physical exaMination.

Follow-up: What causes painful feeling in the lower back of my head while laughing? 6 minutes later
What would it mean if i did feel it? I get headaches alot almost daily. I also feel a tightness pressure type feeling randomly in my head. Whether it be lying down or standing. I also occassionly get an electric zap feeling in the front of my head which the last dr i seen laughed when i told him that

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: Hello again, If you did notice the symptoms with other activities as well as the fact that you have nearly daily headaches indicates very strongly that you suffer from chronic tension headaches. The electric zap feeling you occasionally get may be irritation of a nerve. I do understand that you may feel discouraged & I'm sorry to hear that your concerns were disregarded. Nevertheless, all of this would be best evaluated by an appointment with a neurologist. Take care, Dr G

Follow-up: What causes painful feeling in the lower back of my head while laughing? 1 hour later
What would they do?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow-up Detailed Answer: They should complete a full neurological physical exam, possibly obtain imaging of your head and neck, possibly check labs, and possibly begin medicine if there is a treatable process. Of course, this is simply an educated suggestion and only a physical examination by a doctor will accurately determine what your next steps are. Take care, Dr. G