What causes painful enlarged circumvallate papillae?

I am a 30 year old smoker with pain in the right side of my tongue near the back. I've been checked by my dentist and doctor who both say they are just circumvallate papillae and one side is a little bigger than the other. I still have pain after three months and I feel one of the circumvallate papillae is getting larger and more irregularly shaped. I went to see an ENT, who seemed very dismissive and sure nothing is wrong. Why would my tongue continue to hurt there?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Oral care is all you need with no more smoking Detailed Answer: Hello madam! Thank you for asking. I read your query and concern about your lingual troubles. First of all you should know that your questions has answers in it. The main suspect is the 12 years of smoking which started from teen age and this is a serious issue. SO i recommend to quit smoking. Oral hygiene is seriously affected by the smoking and associated chronicity. As your evaluation has come innocuous by two doctors you visited including dentist and otorhinolaryngologist , i am sure there is nothing to worry about. But you ned to modify your oral lifestyle. let your oral mucosa no more be exposed to smoking and let them get a good hygienic measures , some garlic water mouth rinses, some aspirin gargles , some good oral anesthetic gels, some oral anti inflammatory gels. and your trouble will be soothed but here we are talking about the lifestyle modifications other wise your next visits to the doctors wont come up that innocuous and god forbid any thing from oral plaques to premalignant lesions to malignancies will come so soon you wont be ready for. You have a time to consider quitting the carcinogenic agent like smoking and adopt healthy hygienic lifestyle. before its too late. You are too young to pay such lethal price for smoking. Hope you see it in right perspective. Good Luck and if you have any more ueries please do ask other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Take some very good care of your self and may the odds be ever in your favour. Regards Dr. S Khan