What causes painful and swollen lips and gums?

I had symptoms of a very sore throat, hi fever and even high blood pressure starting 4 days ago. I started taking z pack which I have taken before and fever and blood pressure is under control but I still have very bad cough and sore throat. z pack seems to be working and i have one day left on it. On the forth day I woke up with a very painful and swollen gums and lips and as I wear dentures this makes it even more uncomfortable and painful. I removed the dentures last night and this morning my lips and gums seems even worse. I don't know whether to leave dentures out, stop or continue z pack or what. My gums are very painful and lips very swollen particularly on inside,
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible candida infection after taking Zpack... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, I am sorry for the health problems you are facing. Please bare in mind that the use of antibiotics (Zpack in your case) is often associated with candida infection of GI tract. In your case, you have been experiencing painful and swollen lips and gums. I suggest to do a culture of mouth swab for candida and sensitivity to determine the right anti-fungal drug. I advise to keep a good oral hygiene: - wash with water and soda bicarbonate - take off your dentures (if they are movable) before going to sleep, clean them well and put inside a glass of water with soda bicarbonate or denture cleanser (you can find at your local drug store). - avoid foods that are spicy, hot, citrus.. - start taking probiotics Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! I'd be happy to assist you further!