What causes pain with cracking noise emanating from the sternum?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hi id like to ask about the pain in my chest, like i always want to crack the bones in my chest, i always ask somebpody to squeeze me and its giving me a relief but then the pain is still there :( thanks
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is nothing worrisome about it. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. A popping or cracking noise emanating from the sternum (breastbone) is usually associated with the joints between the breastbone and ribs. It can happen due to a physical strain like weight lifting, inflammation like costochondritis, muscle spasm or rheumatoid arthritis. It seems that your episodes are inflammatory in nature. Such episodes are usually self limiting and do improve on taking mild pain killers like ibuprofen and doing a hot fomentation. You can also apply a local analgesic gel for an earlier relief. There is nothing worrisome about it. In case the symptoms are persistent, then stronger prescription analgesics like naproxen might be needed after consulting the orthopedician. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care