What causes pain when suffering from osteoarthritis and Lyme Disease Syndrome?

Rheumatologist
Question
Medical History Osteo arthristis. Had shoulder replacement 2011 & arthritic bone removed from hand 2009. Injuries in both knees (ACL). Use oxychodone when needed. User Selected Category : Lupus Gender : Female Age : 60 Upload New Reports » All Health Queries I'm living in XXXXXXX for three mos. I am 60 and have osteo. arthritis. The pain is worse than usual. Was diagnosed with Lyme's back in Wis. in 2011. Kept checking positive for it. Was sent to a... View this query » View all » I'm living in XXXXXXX for three mos. I am 60 and have osteo. arthritis. The pain is worse than usual. Was diagnosed with Lyme's back in Wis. in 2011. Kept checking positive for it. Was sent to a infectious disease Dr. and he told me I'll always check positive for it. Is this true? I do not have Lupus.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, You are put in lupus category because that is broad term for rheumatology section used at this site , dont worry regarding this . Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that since you have osteoarthritis , you are bound to have flares of pain that will come and go , it may not be due to lymes disease . Your doctor is right in saying that many people test positive for spirochetes antigens whole life because once the body is sensitised the antibodies will be present throughout in some patients although not universal . Lymes disease generally subsides with treatment but approximately 10 to 20 per cent of patients have lingering symptoms of fatigue, pain, or joint and muscle aches., these can last for more than six months. This is termed as "Post-treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome" (PTLDS). It is believed to be the result of residual damage to tissues and the immune system that occurred during the infection. That is for your doctor to decide whether it is related to osteoarthritis or PTDLS .kindly follow your treating doctors advise. I have gone through the treatment , your medicines which are prescribed are absolutely right , your doctor is treating you well . There is no cure for osteoarthritis except for knee replacement but still supportive treatment help a lot of people . An intrarticular steroid injection will help you a lot and you can discuss with your doctor regarding this . Quadriceps exercises are highly recommended and losing weight in case you are obese will be helpful. Take care. Dr. Shruti