What causes pain under the right rib cage?
User rating for this question
As of early December, I experienced pain under my right rib cage. For 3 days, the pain kept me from taking deep breaths. Aspirin and pain pills just reduced the pain a bit. Now it is more like an "ache" than a pain. It is not sharp and is located directly below my right rib and feels about the width of one of my ribs. I have no increased pain after eating; my bowel movements are normal, urine normal; no fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. I don't seem to display gall stone symptoms. But the pain is annoying and enough to keep me gingerly using my right arm to carry things. I have a regular dr. appt. on XXXXXXX 22 but am wondering if I should wait that long.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You need proper clinical exam and investigation. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Pain under the right rib cage may be due to many factors.It may be due to musculoskeletal or visceral causes. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. Investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,serum calcium and vitamin D level,Ultrasound of abdomen,Upper GI endoscopy,ECG in all leads,Chest X-ray(PA view),Urine RE/ME.Further investigations can be done if needed. Gall bladder causes variety of symptoms.It can be ruled out by ultrasonography. Ultrasonography is very sensitive for hepatobiliary system. Musculoskeletal cause of pain should also be ruled out. Proper treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports. You should consult surgeon. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
People also viewed
- Is severe stomach pain, cramping, or burning a side effect of yaz?
- Tight stool medicines
- Dizziness hot flushes and nausea in pregnancy
- Is severe abdominal or stomach pain a side effect of praziquantel?
- Trika 05
- What causes flutter under right rib cage
- Is upper right abdominal or stomach pain a side effect of tamiflu?
- What causes pain under the right rib cage
- What causes breathing problems and pain under my rib cage
- Thuja for lymph nodes
- Is burning upper abdominal or stomach pain a side effect of mobic?
- Pain under right rib cage causes
- Things to avoid with itp
- Causes of pain on right rib cage
- Is upper right abdominal or stomach pain a side effect of solodyn?