What causes pain under the rib and between the shoulder blade?

Gastroenterologist
Question
For the past year I have been experiencing increased bloating and fullness after each time I eat. It has progress to the point that it made me change my diet to avoid these symptoms. Recently I had an experience where something "popped" in my side just under my rib change and has caused constant pain/soreness every since. Now the pain/soreness radiates to my back between my shoulder blades and the center of my chest like heartburn. I went to the doctor and he did the Classic XXXXXXX test on my abdomen and pinpointed my gallbladder. Today I had an ultrasound and they found no gallstones. Now the doctor wants to do a HIDA scan and a CT scan of my abdomen because they found a renal cyst on the ultrasound. How accurate is the Classic XXXXXXX test in diagnosing a non-functioning gall bladder? If it is my gall bladder I ready to get it out to get rid of this pain. I am afraid the HIDA scan will come back with a normal result and I am back to square one.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. The positive Murphy's sign is diagnostic of inflamed gallbladder ( called as cholcystitis). It is not a sign of non-functioning gallbladder. If the gallbladder is inflamed , it would be seen in the ultrasound scan as a gallbladder with thickened wall and fluid collection around it. On the other hand a nonfunctioning gallbladder is diagnosed with HIDA scan. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What causes pain under the rib and between the shoulder blade? 10 minutes later
I am curious how I can get a positive XXXXXXX and be extremely tender/sore in the area of my gallbladder - yet the ultrasound comes back showing the gallbladder as normal. What's the point of the HIDA?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 37 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, First let me explain about Murphy's sign - It is elicited by firmly placing a hand at the margin of the rib cage in the right upper abdominal quadrant and asking to breathe deeply. If the gallbladder is inflamed, you will experience pain and catch your breath as the gallbladder descends and contacts the palpating hand. A simple tenderness in the right upper quadrant is not a positive Murphy's sign. Tenderness can occur in other conditions also like hepatitis, ulcer disease and pancreatitis. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini