What causes pain under the left rib?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been getting pain directly under my left rib cage towards the front and a general soreness of the ribs on my left side, for a couple of months now.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Due to compression of this nerve root there is pain in your rib There is another possibility of costochondritis I will advise you to do MRI thoracic spine, HRCT [CHEST] and EMG- NCV [nerve conduction study] For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care