What causes pain under ribs with a family history of pancreatitis and kidney failure ?

Hi, I am 26 year old female and have been experiencing pain just under my right side rib since I was 18. It seems to hurt on my back around the same area as the front. If I lie down it alleviates the pain but when I stand up again it hurts. I can handle it, so its not to the point where I have to go to the hospital. I have done ultra sounds and even went to chiropractor thinking it might be some kind of muscle pain or my posture causing it. Nothing. (in fact I got worst at chiro, he gave me new problems) Im just scared it might be something that is not "seeable" to a doctor at this point and what other tests I can ask for. My dad had pancreatitis about 3 years ago (53 years old) and now he is doing dialisis as he also had kidney failure last year. My uncle passed last year with pancreatic cancer. I dont know if some family history might help.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: HI Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the query. I can understand you are concerned about hereditary pancreatic problem which can go unrecognized and the turn into something worrisome. Well your history does not suggest a pancreatic problem. Pancreatic pain is usually central above the umbilicus, very severe usually, going to the back and does not go on for years the way you describe. So do not worry. Yes but you have a strong family history of pancreatic problems hence worthwhile getting a Computed tomography (CT Scan) of the abdomen which will help you to know the cause if any of your pain and look for an asymptomatic pancreatic illness like hereditary pancreatitis (tough very unlikely). Hope this answers your query. Wish you a speedy recovery.