What causes pain under breast but doesn't effect breathing?

What causes pain under left breast but doesn't effect breathing ? I am a woman , 59 yrs. avg. weight/ white & smoke.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Pain in the left side of the chest is most commonly encountered in patients with acid peptic disease in the form of gastritis or esophageal acid reflux. This condition usually is presented with associated symptoms like left sided chest pain, burning sensation in the chest, indigestion, nausea etc. Any simple antacids would provide relief momentarily but there would be need for an endoscopy to grade the severity of the disease and plan exact management.

Other less common causes include intercostal muscle spasm, which occurs due to lack of exercise, application of local pain killer gel, and regular exercise would suffice.

Mediastinal mass of lymph node or tracheal origin can also lead to pain in the chest more towards the center. Such causes are rare and may need a MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) scan to diagnose the condition.

Mass in the lungs also can cause pain in the chest and usually present with breathlessness. Rarely they can present with only pain with no breathlessness in their early stages.

A detailed physical examination can provide useful insights to find out the exact cause for the pain you have.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.