What causes pain on the upper side of both legs and below the joints?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have pain on the upper side of both legs just below the joints--right side seems worse---I play handball and when I get playing the pain go away--after sitting in my car going home the first 10 steps are miserable and then it kinda get better but always lingering ?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do some stretching exercises Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. From description pain seems to be due to muscular spasm in the area.That's the reason that after rest or sitting muscle go into spasm and when you start movement ,first few steps causes pain. After that muscle got relaxed and you got relief in pain. I suggest you to do some stretching exercises to relax the muscle. Before going to play , warmup yourself properly. Applying heating pads and muscle relaxant gel over the area will be helpful to decrease the spasm. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns. Take care.