What causes pain on my back, chest area and hurtness while sneezing and coughing?

Hi, 46 female, last operation was to remove my right ovary which had a cyst, have had for a few months a dull ache middle back right hand side, does get worse and the day goes on, sneezing, coughing also hurt, sometimes feel it in my chest area, the pain can be right across the middle of my back, different food makes no difference, don't drink alcohol at all, I do smoke but not heavy, no problems with anything in the bathroom area.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Internal scar tissue Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using HCM, I would love to help, I am so sorry that you have been experiencing all of this discomfort. The pain that you describe is very non specific, which means that it seemed to be I many places and times. This of course makes it much harder to treat and diagnose. The other thing about this type of pain is that it is sometimes difficult or even impossible to know if it is all the same problem, or if there are several different problems that are affecting you all at once. Given your history though, there is a good possibility that internal scar tissue as a result of the surgery is at least a significant factor in your pain that would explain why it may hurt with coughing and sneezing and get worse throughout the day. That would be because the pressure may cause the scar tissue to pull or tug inside and cause discomfort. I don't think it explains the chest pain, not sure if that is related or not. Without being able to do an exam, I think that is the most reasonable explanation. Scar tissue will not show up on a CT scan or am ultrasound, the only way to see it is in surgery. That of course creates the ultimate conundrum, to operate is the only way to find it and fix it, but operating opens you to the risk of developing more scar tissue. Talk to your doctor about the options, I am so sorry that this is so difficult for you. Please let me know if I can be of further help.