What causes pain near the collar bone and under left pectoral muscle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my healthy 18 year old son had some pain at the base of his neck near the collarbone that started early today. It has disappeared and now he complains of pain under the left pectoral muscle. He cant lie down. Sitting up and tylenol helps with the pain.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to muscle sprain or inflammation. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain near the collar bone and under left pectoral muscle is likely to be due to a muscle sprain or due to musculoskeletal inflammation. Any injury or an abnormal neck position while sleeping can also cause this kind of pain. This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎ It is best to do a hot fomentation in the area and avoid all painful movements. In case the pain is severe then do get some oral muscle relaxants prescribed after an examination by your physician. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL