What causes pain in upper arms from shoulers to elbows restricting movements?

Excellent

Question
I have pain in both of my upper arms from my shoulders to my elbows that keeps me up at night and restricts my movements. I am unable to touch my hands behind my back, it is very painful to my shoulders to do so.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Rotator cuff tendinitis. Rest,NSAIDS, Physiotherap Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. From your query i understood that you are suffering from Bilateral Rotator Cuff Tendinitis. The rotator cuff is the group of muscles and tendons that surround the shoulder joint. Tendinitis is inflammation (redness, soreness, and swelling) of a tendon. At this age, Rotator cuff tendinitis is usually due to Overuse and repetitive movements in shoulder. Further this may be aggravated by old age degeneration of joints and surrounding structures. No special investigation like X-Ray or CT are needed to diagnose this condition. Simple physical examination by your primary care physician is enough to diagnose the Rotator cuff tendinitis. On examination there may be muscle wasting with pain on movements and a partial restriction of active as well as passive movements in shoulder joints. Treatment includes 1. Rest to joints and modification of movements pertaining to shoulder joint including reducing precipitating movements 2. Non Steroidal Anti inflammatory Drugs like Ibuprofen would be prescribed for pain. 3. Physiotherapy and ultrasound (gentle soundwave vibrations) to warm deep tissues and improve blood flow. 4. Gentle stretching and strengthening exercises. If all these measures are not helpful, then Local Corticosteroid injection will be helpful.

Follow-up: What causes pain in upper arms from shoulers to elbows restricting movements? 21 hours later
How often can you have the shots and how long do they last?

Brief Answer: Vary. 4 to 5 weeks. Atleast 2 months between injec Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. The effectiveness of steroid short vary from individual to individual. In some patients, the relief from inflammation and pain may last for several weeks ( usually 4 to 5 weeks)or more. In others, the shot may help for only a short time (about a week). We usually wait at least 2 months between injections. And we usually do not give more than 3 or 4 injections into one area. Because repeated use of corticosteroids may weaken tendons. This may lead to rotator cuff tear. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What causes pain in upper arms from shoulers to elbows restricting movements? 1 hour later
Which would be better to apply to shoulders, heat or cold and how often?

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Both are effective. Try alternating heat and cold. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. Both will be helpful in relieving pain in shoulders. Usually i recommend heat pad for 15 to 20 minutes for every 4 to 6 hours. But Cold compress for 15 minutes really helps. Heat helps soothe stiff joints and relax muscles. Cold helps numb sharp pain and reduce inflammation. You may also try to switching between heat and cold. Use heat for 15 to 20 minutes, then a few hours later use ice for 10 to 15 minutes. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.