What causes pain in the shoulder where pacemaker is positioned?

Cardiologist
Question
Hello, I have a concern regarding my implanted pacemaker. It was inserted 9 mos. ago. I have receive the regular monitoring both through EKGs and the monitoring of the device. No abnormalities have been discovered. I am experiencing unusually pain in the front shoulder where the pacemaker is positioned. This was not always present. Example, when I put on my coat, pushing my arm backwards causes pain. My upper arm (between the shoulder and elbow is sensitive to some touch. Also bringing the left arm across my chest also results in pain/discomfort and the reach is limited. What are the possible medical implications or cause?
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible problems with area around pacemaker... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your medical history and understood your concerns. Your problems are related to damages around the place where the pacemaker is placed. Please bare in mind that there might be hematoma/inflammation/infection around the place where the pacemaker is located. I suggest to consult with your cardiologist to check out the area around the pacemaker and to get treated in time because such problems might cause the pacemaker to get thrown away. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard

Follow-up: What causes pain in the shoulder where pacemaker is positioned? 1 hour later
Would inflammation or infection be represented with some swelling in the area or redness?? Would inflammation or infection be represented with some swelling or redness in the area? What do you mean "might cause the pacemaker to get thrown away?" Would it be replaced as expected when the battery becomes low?

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Inflammation/infection is deeper¬ surface skin. Detailed Answer: Hi, It is true that inflammation/infection is presented with swelling and redness of the area affected. In your case, such inflammation is located deeper where the pacemaker is inserted. That's why the skin on surface is not swollen or red. In the case of infection or inflammation the pacemaker is a considered a "foreign body" to your body. Therefore, its reaction is for the unique aim to reject it. The pacemaker should be checked regularly for functioning properly. If the battery will be run out, it will be happening after 5 or 8 years, your doctor will schedule an appointment for replacement. Hope it answered to your queries! Dr.Benard