What causes pain in the muscle associated with swelling?

heres the question. I had an attack of what seemed like my muscles, nerves in the flesh on my back that was much worse than ever. I am sensitive to drafts and cold air on my back and will have a little pain an aches all over this area. But at first felt like a bad flu with no flu symptoms. And CONCENTRATED pain in my back, VERY UNCOMFORTALBE. After a few days, I was able to get around, not in bed but that concentrated pain kind of burst and I was in pain all over the fatty, fleshy parts of my back, front and back of my shoulders, under upper painful and I check my left side was so swollen from spine across front moving up with what felt like a fat rod there too. I took magnesium and after a week (not sure if it was magnesium or worked itself out). It felt that instead of tense muscles, my muscles relaxed and would not it felt. I have had this before but this was this was HORRIBLE. Drs. office did not have close appt. Is this muscles, nerves, or neuropathy or what could this be. I am wearing two heavy pullover sweaters in the house to keep my back warm. Feedback please. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Muscle inflammation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The pain you had in the muscle associated with swelling for sure is due to inflammation in the muscle. The cause of the inflammation may have to be identified by further investigations. One amongst the cause could be a viral infection as you doubt. CRP( C reactive protein) and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) are the tests which will help to identify the cause for the pain you had. Meanwhile do apply warmth and take a muscle relaxant which will provide you relief. Wish you good health. regards,