What causes pain in the middle of the left buttocks while sitting?

is there a medical term for the "sit"bone? I have a pain in the middle of the left buttocks and it hurt when I sit or put pressure of the bone or whatever thet is. I need to know what it is and what type of DR. I need to see.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: High Hamstring Tendinopathy. Rest,NSAIDS, Ice pack Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Sitting bones are nothing but ISCHIAL TUBEROSITY. Ischial tuberosity is one of the bony prominence in the Hip bone on either side of buttock. These two bony prominence's support much of your weight while sitting, especially on hard surfaces. Hamstring muscle from the tibia travels up and attaches to this Ischial tuberosity by forming tendon. The junction between the tendons of the hamstrings and the Ischial tuberosity is the area affected by High Hamstring tendinopathy. While sitting, these tendon get stretched and we get the pain on sitting or giving pressure in High Hamstring Tendinopathy. You have consult both orthopedician or sports physician to diagnose and confirm the cause. You may have to follow physiotherapist advice to get better. Appying ice packs for 15 to 20 minutes several times a day will decrease inflammation. Take rest and NSAIDS Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen for pain and inflammation. Once the pain subsides, you have to do physical therapy by stretching to strengthen the muscle and its tendon as per treating Physiotherapist advice. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.