What causes pain in sternum under the clavicle?

I have a localized pain to the right side of my sternum just under the clavicle. It is intermittent pain with a tightening sensation that takes my breath away. It has been happening for about a month.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it will be difficult to give you a diagnosis on this basis but still we can discuss the possibilties . One and foremost can be costochondritis which can give rise to this kind of pain and symptoms . Secondly we need to look for any lung related pathology. It will be advisable to you to see a doctor because tenderness needs to be examined as at what point does it exist as the differential will be set up by finding out from where the tenderness is coming . A careful auscultation of lungs is also advisable . A chest X ray is also required . Only after determination of diagnosis treatment can be suggested. Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: What causes pain in sternum under the clavicle? 22 minutes later
Should I see a specialist? if so what kind?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for reverting back. I think you should see a physician for this as he will have a comprehensive outlook regarding your problem . At least after examining and preliminary investigations the line of investigation and management will be clear . Dr. Shruti